Inspect are the building inspection specialists.
Call us today.
What is Inspect Safe Rental Inspections and why should I get one?
With new changes to the Rental Tenancies Act the landlord must ensure that the property meets all the current requirements to be a habitable building.
An Inspect Safe rental inspection is carried out by a licensed builder for the landlord or property manager to assess if the property meets current legislation, This includes an on site inspection, Verbal and photographic report.
New changes to the Rental Tenancies Act
 Section 52 Landlord’s general obligations for residential premises (1A) Without limiting the circumstances in which residential premises are not fit for habitation, residential premises are not fit for habitation unless the residential premises:
- (a) are structurally sound, and
- (b) have adequate natural light or artificial lighting in each room of the premises other than a room that is intended to be used only for the purposes of storage or a garage, and
- (c) have adequate ventilation, and
- (d) are supplied with electricity or gas and have an adequate number of electricity outlet sockets or gas outlet sockets for the supply of lighting and heating to, and use of appliances in, the premises, and
- (e) have adequate plumbing and drainage, and
- (f) are connected to a water supply service or infrastructure that supplies water (including, but not limited to, a water bore or water tank) that is able to supply to the premises hot and cold water for drinking and ablution and cleaning activities, and
- (g) contain bathroom facilities, including toilet and washing facilities, that allow privacy for the user. (1B) For the purposes of subsection
(1A) (a), residential premises are structurally sound only if the floors, ceilings, walls, supporting structures (including foundations), doors, windows, roof, stairs, balconies, balustrades and railings:
- (a) are in a reasonable state of repair, and
- (b) with respect to the floors, ceilings, walls and supporting structures—are not subject to significant dampness, and
- (c) with respect to the roof, ceilings and windows—do not allow water penetration into the premises, and (d) are not liable to collapse because they are rotted or otherwise defective.
(1C) The Secretary may exempt any specified premises or any specified class of premises from the operation of all or any part of this section. An exemption may be unconditional or subject to conditions.
What is included in a pre-rental inspection?
- Onsite inspection and consultation by a licensed builder.
- Safety and compliance information of the structure.
- Inspection of operational and installations items such as doors, locks and windows, gas and water.
- A detailed photographic report with recommendations.
- Inspect Safe Certified, To ensure your rental property complies with safety and you and your property manager are aware of any issues to prevent non compliance and legal ramifications.
A pre-rental Inspect Safe Inspection is affordable reassurance knowing your property meets the current legislation.
Did you know?
Common law dictates that landlords have a duty to guarantee the safety of rented property and its contents. Of utmost importance is that no injury or damage is caused to the tenants, neighbours or public as a direct result of the landlord neglecting his/her responsibilities. In addition to common law, there are regulations specific to rental properties – these fall under the landlord responsibilities and must be followed to the letter. The tenant also has a duty of care not to break the law in your property.
Landlord responsibilities include:
1) Maintaining the structure and exterior of the house.
2) Ensuring all ‘installations’ are working, such as gas, electricity, and heating
3) Installation and appliance maintenance and overall safety. Please note: only applies to landlord-owned appliances
4) Treat potentially health-threatening issues such as rising damp and now a latest health threatening issue is methamphetamine.
5) Anything else that’s stipulated in the tenancy agreement